Kamikazi

There is a feeling in the Court of the White River. A feeling of victory.

I have begun new training under Seven Cloud Temple, a Hollow Reed elder. It was under his orders that the Thousand Ri Scouts were assigned to be my sensei for learning the Fivefold Way.

Now that I understand the Great Principle and my dharmic training has begun, the Wise Centipede begins my lessons in more detail. It is time to learn about the House I serve.

Rain drums on the roof of the tea house like impatiently tapping fingers, but Seven Cloud Temple-san is serene. He listens to the rain for a long time before he begins the story. I am amazed at his storytelling skills, so much like, but so much more than the theater I love.

The Hollow Reed takes on each role like, well, like a mask. His voice is exactly that of Igurashi-sama. Even his bearing, his carriage changes and he becomes the player in the story. History comes alive.

I listen and watch as Omi-sama stands shoulder to shoulder with Yoshinaka Sohei against the Koreans. I see Sohei break ranks and flee, leaving Omi-sama to die. I watch the blood-feud unfold, the wars, the assassinations.

Seven Cloud Temple shows me the course of our House’s history as we struggled with the treacherous Sohei all the way up until the present night.

This feeling I have is about the war. You can see it in the elders, their stoic faces hiding their pride. The Thousand Ri Scouts have established a strong presence in Anjiro and they have defeated a great evil and gifted the court with tribute and the Daimyo is generous in his praise.

I am proud of the Scouts. But as a scientist, I must look at all of the facts. They are but Disciples, and only four. How can they be the key to victory? It is the voice of my Shadow, as always casting doubt over me like dark clouds obscuring the sun. But the only way to shatter the illusion of doubt is to test it and prove it false.

I test my own dark doubts in my mind. My Demon-voice is right; the Thousand Ri Scouts have accomplished much, just like the Disciple Singing Snake who shook the middle kingdom with his koa. but for hundreds of years the Yamabushi and Sohei have warred in the shadows and in the open, and more powerful gaki have done their best to anihilate our enemies.

What I see is confidence. Igurashi-sama believes that we are going to win. The only explanation that makes sense, is that there is a plan. A secret plan for victory.

No comments: